Turin is a beautiful city of Italy. A Celtic tribe colonized this city in 200 BC. They remained here relatively quiet until the Roman Empire expanded further till north. With the approach of the 1st century AD, Turin first became a Roman military camp and then a city. It would remain under Roman control for several centuries. Then with the collapse of the Western Roman Empire, then later Barbarian groups invaded this cit. The city witnessed great changes, especially in its art and architecture. Rival cities have tried to outshine each other in terms of buildings and elaborate architectural decorations. In the 15th century Turin fell under the control of the Savoy family. In 1498, Bishop Domenico Della Rovere commissioned an Italian architect to build the Cathedral of San Giovanni, a fine example of local Renaissance architecture.
History highlights of Turin
At the beginning of the 16th century, Turin was involved in the Franco-Prussian war. As a result, the city strengthened its defenses, which included a number of strongholds. The French were finally defeated in the battle of San Quintino and Duke Emanuele Filiberto. With the declaration of peace of 1559, Turin became the new capital of the Savoy state, an epochal moment in its history. The city government was well aware of his vulnerability at this time. Huge amounts of funds were allocated for the defense of the city. Its medieval fort was repaired and a citadel built. Its main gate, “Il Mastio”, is still standing to this day. Some expenses also went to ambitious non-military projects in the city, including the landscaping of the Parque Real de Viboccone, northeast of the city center.
In 1580, Charles Emmanuel I succeeded the Duchy and began carrying out many inspired architectural projects. After extending the city southward beyond its ancient walls, he was largely responsible for designing the city’s grid, as well as Piazza San Carolo, the Palazzo Reale and the Palazzo Madama. The seventeenth century was a period of great civic pride, which is clearly evident in the buildings dating back to this period, from the Palazzo Comunale and the Church of San Lorenzo to the Chapel of the Holy Shroud, better known as the Chapel of the Saint. In the 18th century, education reform became a priority and a new university building was built on Via Po.
Turin became home to many great intellectuals of the time, as well as several enlightened reformers. These developments were to be briefly interrupted during war with France, which culminated in a siege in 1706. At the end of the 1700s, French army again occupied Turin, this time under Napoleon, although this period of occupation proved short-lived. The 19th century was a time of instability and upheaval. Social unrest in the city led to the revolt of 1821. From the mid-19th century, Turin began to play a more important role in Italy’s cultural and political life. This was one of the first cities to become part of a united Italy. In fact, for a very short time, he even held the position of capital.
Starting from the 1880s, Turin witnessed the opening of the first foundries and factories. The industrial boom continued until the 20th century. In particular, the First World War was a boon to the entrepreneurs of the city, especially those involved in the production of automobiles. The car company Fiat opens factories in Turin, including the Lingotto complex in 1918, Fiat had achieved spectacular fame and now employed around 40,000 people.
Liberation and development
Turin between the two wars was a hotbed of intellectualism, which laid the foundations for a lively trade union scene in the city. It would also have distinguished itself as an anti-fascist city in Italy. At the outbreak of the Second World War, a resistance movement was organized here, which continued to fight until its liberation. After the war Turin grew more and more in terms of industrial power. In 1961 Italy built around 61 Complex for the unification of Italy and the city as well. Today, this is one of the main Italian financial and industrial cities, famous for its religious veil.